First off, I want to start off by saying that Millennials/Gen Y are typically pretty smart, despite all of our bad decisions and naivety. We just grew up in a time following Baby Boomers / Gen X where you made more money than we ever will, and told us that we can be anything we want to be if we work hard enough/put your mind to it. Which makes us seem stupid and lazy. Believe me though, many of us agree with you as well.
The problem with the phrase “You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough/put your mind to it” is the first part: you can be anything you want to be. From that moment on, little did Gen X know that they actually sparked a notion that divided Gen Y into multiple categories. There are now 5 factions of GEN Y in my opinion and trust me there are a lot of us Gen Y’ers that get just as confused and frustrated as you are sometimes.
1. GEN RealYsts – These are the closest you are going to get to “when I was a kid, we walked 2 miles in the snow to get to school.” They are hard working, they know what they want, and they have short/long term goals. They are on time, do their job, respect their superiors, and never say no when asked to do something above and beyond. These are the kinds of Gen Y’ers you want at your office.
2. GEN Aspiring EverYthings – These guys and gals are so wispy and only take jobs to fund “their dreams” like their “singing” career, or “art” career, or “modeling” career. They aspire to be ANYTHING that doesn’t take too much work, and that they love, but also makes them a lot of money if they actually succeed. These will get hired just to quit in 3 months after a couple pay checks. I literally have seen people do this over and over so they can buy new equipment for their band, or pay for additional head shots.
3. Gen HYpSters: Don’t even bother. These folks hate corporate america, hate the government, and despise everything that is conformist. They would rather wait tables forever than sit behind a desk, but think going to festivals and going to rally’s is making the world a better place. To be honest, these are my fellow Gen Y’ers that literally just make me want to grab their shoulders and yell: “WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU TO MAKE YOU THIS WAY.” They are mysteriously also the only group that makes me feel like my success is meaningless, if only for a split second until I think about their future.
4. GEN saYve-the-world: I can’t say anything negative about these cats. They are all about helping others, traveling around, and trying to do right in the world. However, hard-work to them isn’t necessarily the definition. Typically have Gen X parents who are fronting these trips, or they are massively in debt from student loans because they used them to fund their trips.
5. Gen SpoYled: Speaking of being supported by their Gen X parents, Gen SpoYled are the WORST. They have been over-dramatically given EVERYTHING by Gen X and have never worked a day in their life , but were driving BMW’s in high school and later upgraded to the newer model in college. These parents like to make deals with them “If you pass school, ill give you this.” …”If you make an A, I’ll give you this.” ….Their whole life is based on getting monetary reward for doing a good job, but an OVER EXCESSIVE monetary reward. (this translates to them being completely appalled at the $25 gift card they got for achieving something at work, because it was’t a Lexus.) They went to college, but they majored in some easy major and still make B’s and C’s because they literally have no work ethic even when it comes to school. They get hired by their parents connections and typically are awful at their job because they are lazy and literally are so entitled that they don’t even care what the managers say/think. This isn’t a universal truth for these folks, but most of the time it is. It doesn’t make them bad people, it just makes them harder for YOU to manage/motivate.
All that being said, Millennials are a powerful force in the economy. I am here to give you some insight you how to harness our power and unlock our brilliance that I promise lies deep underneath all that dream covered fantasy world mentality we try to live in.